Where did this name come from?
– In general, the word “marshal” originally in medieval Europe meant “the caretaker of stables”. Then the marshals got additional duties. In particular, traditionally, marshals were working at the knight tournament`s. Therefore, in the Historical Medieval Battles, judges are still called marshals.
How dangerous is it to be a marshal in the lists area?
– There is a certain danger. And there are even special safety rules – for example, we always specifically explain to marshal newcomers: “don’t just stand in the center of the lists, never stand in the way of an attacking fighter” – etc. To minimize the risk of accidental injury, the marshals wear special yellow uniforms. And Knight marshals (who most often work directly inside the lists) – in black and yellow, striped.
Who can be a marshal?
– In principle – any adult person. But in fact, of course, it is much easier to adapt to the marshal’s work for those who have gained considerable experience in the HMB as a fighter or a member of the organizing team.
How can you become a marshal? Please describe the procedure from the very beginning.
– There is a clear algorithm here. First of all, you need to contact with the head of the national marshall committee (for example, in Russia it is Sergey Bogonenko). Such committees exist in many countries of the world. Well, if there is no such committee, just then with one of the marshals in your country or even abroad. Then you should get a national Marshal certification: take part in a training seminar, take a theoretical test and get a practical test – work as a trainee in several tournaments. After that, the committee can make a recommendation for an international exam, which also consists of a theoretical test, an interview and a practical test. All tests in the international exam are held in English.
You mentioned a special marshal’s yellow uniform. Where can judges get it?
– One can order an uniform where you want or sew yourself. Regarding the recommended styles you will be advised after passing the exams.
When can a new marshal get certified?
– Periodically. Follow the news
Is there recertification?
– Yes, of course, there is. There are periodic recertification – confirmation of qualification level. After all, the rules and regulations are changing – it is necessary to control, so that marshals around the world should know the same things. There are emergency recertifications – for example, if a marshal made a serious mistake in his work and for unprofessional actions he may be temporarily suspended from work and he or she should pass a retest.
Also you are the head of the HMBIA Marshal`s Committee. What are the functions of the committee?
– The Marshal`s Committee is primarily involved in providing tournaments with qualified Marshals. To do this, conducts training seminars and certification of marshals. Also the Committee is in the constant contact with the organizers of tournaments. Secondly, ongoing work is underway to improve the rules and regulations. Constantly collected and analyzed data obtained from tournaments from around the world, identifies controversial points and inaccuracies of existing documents, making corrections.